“As an artist…you are constantly in a state of becoming” - Bob Dylan
1. “Breath”. - Matthew Stratton
Before every performance, just….breath.
2. “Find your comfort in your music…in your songs.” - Daddy Love
You wrote (or decided to cover) these songs for a reason. Take comfort in that. Take comfort in the familiarity of what you are playing.
3. “You are whoever you are as a songwriter, so stay in character.” - Matthew Stratton
To me, this means that you have to remember why you wrote each song, how you connect to it now, and express that while you are playing. Because for those 4 minutes, you are who that song says you are.
4. “Make your mistakes a part of the show.” - Daddy Love
People come to see imperfect people perform. When you make mistakes, don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself.
5. “Have as much variety as possible.” - Jim Masden
Play different instruments, use different turnings on your guitar. Play in different keys, genres and styles. Fight to keep them guessing.
6. “Every show has to be important to you, because you never know when you will play your last chord..” - Daddy Love
This is kind of a variation of “live every day as if it were your last.” It’s just set to music. Take every show for what it is…a single moment in time where you are doing what you love.
7. HAVE FUN - Matthew Stratton, Jim Masden, Daddy Love
Don’t forget to have fun with it all. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
I hope that their advice is as inspiring to you as it was for me!
Is there anything you might add to this list?
March 27, 2015
Michelangelo's Coffee and Wine Bar
207 E Main St, Norman, OK 73069
March 28, 2015
Online Acoustic Concert